Sunday, May 24, 2009

On The Work Front...

Last night I became aware (due to the incredibly confused looks on Jill and Tony's faces) that I never posted a little tid-bit about me getting a job to finish off the school year.  :)

I got a job to finish off the school year. :)

I started mid-April and I'm working at an elementary school.  I work with six students, five are either first or second graders and one is a fourth grader.  They are all on the autistic spectrum.  Two are non-verbal.  It's been a great challenge for me!

It's pretty out of my comfort zone, because when I went to school I knew that I didn't want to work in the lower elementary grades.  Why you may ask?  "oh, they're so cute..."  blah blah blah.  While that's true, they are freakin' adorable, they also pee, have tons of snot, and cry--for no good reason.  Now, I realize that all students do this, but when they are that young it happens so spontaneously, and you have to stop what you are doing and address those nuances.  I'm not a super big fan of that--well, I'm not a big fan of that going on in the classroom.

:)  Again, it's been great.  I've been really lucky to work with these kids.  They are wonderful. I'll be sad to leave them as well.  It'd be hard for me to do this for a full year though.  It is good for a temporary fix of getting into a district, maybe it'll lead to a teaching job or me working in the middle school.  Never know!

Um...I had an interview out in Addison a few months back.  That didn't pan out (I'm thinking because I'm not bilingual).  I have an interview out in Oak Park on Tuesday, which I'm totally stoked for!  When we went to the ISU job fair, Oak Park was one of the districts that I spoke with and LOVED.  I'm really quite excited for this interview...a) because I got an interview b) because I liked the district and c) I got an interview!! :)  So, we'll see what happens!  

4 comments:

Lindqvist Family said...

That sounds like quite a challenge you've had for the remainder of the school year.

Good luck on your Oak Park interview!

Colonel Sanders said...

Awesome...congrats Mar!

Mindy K said...

i didn't know you had another interview. how did it go? any word yet?

*mar* said...

Oak Park I thought went really well...we'll see though. I've thought I've done really well before and have gotten nowhere. I should know something this week.

My Simpsonization

My Simpsonization
Here is what I would look like in Springfield