Friday, June 26, 2009

The Day the State of Gary Lost Their King of Pop

I entirely expect to be lambasted for this post, but so be it. My hometown of Gary, Indiana lost perhaps our most popular son today with the passing of Michael Jackson. Now I will not pretend to be Michael's biggest fan, but I do enjoy his music. Even though he has come across hard times these last few years, his impact on music in undeniable. I am sure that some of you might remember my post about the 25th anniversary of the Thriller album last year, so I will not bore you with the details of his success. Brian and I often joked about buying plane tickets to London to catch all of his fifty comeback shows, and I have to admit that part of me is a little sad that I won't ever have the chance to see him in person. Go ahead and heckle me, but I know that all of you are waiting for Anthony to do the Thriller dance in it's entirety at the wedding, so there is a little bit of Michael Jackson fandom in all of us.

6 comments:

Lindqvist Family said...

I have to agree with you, Chris. Michael Jackson was certainly a wack-job, but he had an undeniable impact on music. Perhaps as a tribute, Marilyn would let you wear a sparkly glove at the wedding?? Just a thought....

*mar* said...

Laura! It was supposed to be a surprise!! Now that's it out in the open I cannot. . . :)

Teach said...

That really got Jeselnicked...too bad. I would have loved to see Chris in a white glove.

CubsFan said...

Who said I wasn't going to wear the glove?

Colonel Sanders said...

Jill...it just hurts so much.

Mindy K said...

your "hometown" of gary, chris?

My Simpsonization

My Simpsonization
Here is what I would look like in Springfield