Monday, April 27, 2009

Coach Ortiz!

As many of you know the word on the street, Chris has taken on another responsibility at Hinsdale Central this year, coaching.  He the "assistant coach" for girls water polo.  The way that it has worked out is Chris is the "head coach" of the JV team, while the "head coach" is the "head coach" of the varsity team.  While they both interact with each level, ultimately they get their respective "final say" in calling the shots.  I hope that made sense. :/

Chris has done *such* a wonderful job with the girls.  They adore him. :)  I've been to quite a few games this season and they listen with intent when he speaks to them!  You can see the passion on the girls faces for the game and they really look to him for direction.  It's amazing how far they've come this season too!  Just ask Chris how AWESOME his girls looked while playing Lyons Township on Saturday!  Whew!  They rocked it out!  I was proud of them!  

Probably the most important piece of information *in Coach's opinion* he has given the girls has been about BSG.  Yes, you've guess it.  He's even wormed that Battlestar Galactica crap into their fresh and innocent minds. :)  No joke.  But, they love it!  They even decided to get tee-shirts made with BSG nicknames on them.  They call Coach "Admiral" and they give him some salute.  Yeah...maybe the line has been crossed? :) I'll let Coach explain further on this topic. 

I don't want to get too into detail about Coach's season.  I'm sure there will be a very informative blog about it coming up.  Especially because the season is winding down.  However, I'm really proud of Chris.  Really proud.  He's done *such* a wonderful job.  I just hope a job opens for him at Hinsdale because he loves it so very much there.  Coaching only adds to it.  While I haven't been too thrilled about the time coaching has taken up (I mean, I understand...but it sure does monopolize time!), I am absolutely thrilled Chris has gained so much from this experience.  

Needless to say, our camera battery charger has been MIA for months so I have yet to take any pictures!  HOWEVER, Rosa joined us at a tournament at York High School and took some great pictures on her phone!  So,  here you all go, a few pictures of the Coach!  Coach Ortiz!  Live!  In action!


York High School Tournament


York High School Tournament


The ol' stomping grounds: NNHS 
(and quite possibly the worst place to watch a water polo game...)

3 comments:

Lindqvist Family said...

Chris, I am so proud of you! Who would have thought all those years ago that you would be coaching water polo? It seems like it hasn't been that long since all of us would pile on the bus together to go to our games. Where does the time go?

I can only presume that you don't give the excellent Dan McNellis advice of "give her a bloody nose!"

Dr. Cappa said...

With that kind of nickname, he should become a stripper. And now, Chris "Admiril" Ortiz, will perform his Battlestar Galactica show.

*mar* said...

AHhahahahahaha, that's a good one Tony!

My Simpsonization

My Simpsonization
Here is what I would look like in Springfield