Sunday, February 17, 2008

Rocket Man

While I consider the fact that we had a "special congressional hearing" for Roger Clemens an embarrassment, I was totally enthralled when reading the transcript. That hearing made for some very juicy dialog and quite the theatrics. Who would have thought that hearing a couple of perceived liars lying about each other would be so entertaining? For the record, I am siding with Brian McNamee's version of the truth, since he had witnesses to corroborate the information that he gave to the Mitchell Report, which is quite a read.

The grilling that Clemens and McNamee took was very intense, and I would not say that either are better off after the hearing. Clemen's was particularly hurt by the sworn testimony of his friend Andy Pettite, who is a confessed user of HGH. Pettite's confession backed up what McNamee said, and casts a huge shadow of doubt over Clemens' testimony. Truth be told, I will never know the truth since I was not in the room when the alleged use of performance enhancers took place.

Even though this was a rather dramatic event, I have serious questions about the fact that our Congress decided to call a special hearing just for this case. The government has enough problems on their hands to be spending taxpayers money on something that is so frivolous. For those of us that think MLB needs a slap on their hands for the potentially hundreds of players that allegedly used performance enhancers, I think everyone knew something was in the players kool-aid. How else can the explosion in player statistics raise so fast? When it's all said and done, we Americans were willing to turn a blind eye because we wanted to just sit back and enjoy the show.

No comments:

My Simpsonization

My Simpsonization
Here is what I would look like in Springfield